Friday, April 16, 2010

Online Dating, Break Up... Stalking?!?

Hello everyone.





I have a bit of a problem.





I am 17 years old, and have been online seeing a 19 year old boy for the past few months. We have recently broken up because of his being overly controlling, possessive, and especially angry, individual. (signs only showed up after dating and I felt it was just a rough patch, but that seems to be his personality and it never went away. causing me much anxiety and unneeded stress)





So I have broke things up. He of course has my address, since we would write to each other. I live in Canada, and he lives in the USA.


* He is a very angry person, and obsessive with me, to the point he stalks many of the places I go online.. which makes me feel paranoid. I have told him this.





The worry I have is that now, after breaking up, with his personality traits in mind.. I fear that he might want to hurt me or my family out of anger (he has my address and telephone number.)





I've alsogone out of my way to make sure that all my accounts online were deleted

Online Dating, Break Up... Stalking?!?
The first and last thing you need to do is defuse the situation.





Do not fuel his obsession. If you haven't done it already, tell him you are cutting off all communication, and if he tries to get in contact with you again, you will call the police. Then don't make any kind of contact with him again, no matter how crude or obsessive he gets. If you even email him or IM him or whatever, you have given him fuel to get respond. Even using this medium is in-directly talking to him. Does he know your avatar and username? Will he be reading this question? If so, you will be fueling him.





You have to not have any kind of contact with him. Don't do it. No matter what. He'll finally get bored and move on. This happens in about 88% of cases.





For the rare 12%, it could turn dangerous. Tell everyone you know about the situation, parents etc. and if he shows up at your home, then he has taken it up a notch and its now time to go to the authorities.





Don't worry about hurting his feelings, people that have anger issues often use this to their advantage and will make you feel bad in order to get the upper hand. They will also use conflict, because most of us try to avoid any conflict.
Reply:man, idk, if its really that serious, maybe you should get a restraining order, but then again, that might not do anything. talk to him, ask him about it maybe. or move. good luck :)


No comments:

Post a Comment